Background

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Grandma's Pickled Beets

It's almost Easter, yay for Easter! Seriously, who doesn't love a holiday that involves plundering a basket full of candy for breakfast?! Delicious. 

Anywho, in my family, as with many Pennsylvania families, this is the only time of year that we get to break out the pickled beets.  I have fond memories of my Grandmother pulling a giant glass container from her fridge before Easter dinner which was filled full of beets, eggs and pickle juice. Now before you start picturing regular pickle brine with a bunch of beets and eggs thrown in (which would be gross), I have to tell you that the brine for this one more closely resembles a sweet & sour spiced syrup. Admittedly that's still a bit weird, but for some reason it just works.

Also, I have no idea how this pickled beet tradition began or why it is such a quintessentially Easter thing but I don't care because pickled beets are delicious.  One small note though, I'm not a big fan of hardboiled eggs so now I make mine sans offending eggs. If you're into that sort of thing though, feel free to throw a few peeled, hardboiled eggs into the brine to make some red beet eggs. I promise I won't judge.

Grandma’s Pickled Beets
  • 2 15 oz cans of sliced beets
  • 1 ½ c. sugar
  • ¼ c. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  1. Drain beets, reserving liquid in a small saucepan
  2. Add sugar, vinegar and cinnamon to the reserved liquid
  3. Heat to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
  4. Pour over beets, let cool and then refrigerate for at least 8 hours.


image via Photo Bucket

No comments:

Post a Comment