Background

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

Yes, I know, I'm late but I had important partying to do......and more important party recovery. I don't know about you, but I had a great time ringing in the New Year with friends at a bar in Manhattan. Even if the cab situation can be a challenge from Brooklyn, it's totally worth it to be able to relax, enjoy some libations and catch up with friends after all the craziness and office parties in December.

During my post New Year's Eve convalesence (referred to by normal people as New Year's Day), I did manage to get the obligatory pork chops and sauerkraut in the crockpot. If you're not familiar with the tradition, Pennsylvania Dutch custom is to make a meal of pork chops and sauerkraut (duh) on New Year's Day for luck.  Apparently the cabbage of the sauerkraut is supposed to represent greenbacks (a.k.a. money, big fortunes in the New Year) while the pork means that you will move forward confidently in the New Year (since pigs move forward).  My own guess though is that those old timey PA Dutch folks enjoyed a little too much of the old timey celebratory meade on New Year's Eve and needed some old timey stick-to-your-ribs recovery food. To me though it was always just something my Mom made while we watched the Philadelphia Mummers Parade.

Whatever the case, we had ours this year with horseradish mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. I also recommend making some mulled wine to counteract the sauerkraut smell. No picture for this one (again the convalesence) but I did leave you with a festive New Year's pic at the end of this post. Enjoy!

New Year’s Lucky Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
·         4 bone in pork chops
·         1 lb. sauerkraut
·         1 apple, diced
·         1 onion, diced
·         1 tsp caraway seeds
·         2 tbsp brown sugar
·         ¼ c. apple cider

1.       Brown pork chops in frying pan over high heat about 1-2 minutes per side.
2.       Add pork chops to slow cooker, top with sauerkraut and remaining ingredients.
3.       Cook on low 7 – 8 hours or until chops are fork tender and falling off the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment